Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lunar New Year!

Last week was New Years for Korea.  January 1st is celebrated too, but Lunar New Year is a much bigger deal.  I was able to spend the weekend at Eunbyeol's house... where, I also met the parents. Which, I thought, was going to be a very long, and nerve-racking interview... but instead, it was quite the opposite.  One thing that really surprised me, was that, if you want to get in good with the parents, bring them alcohol ;)  Not just any alcohol though, there is a Korean traditional alcohol that is called Makali. This is very popular, especially among older generations (younger generations like it too, as it is quite delicious).  So, after giving some makali to Eunbyeol's father, the rest of the weekend was very easy going, and a lot of fun!!! Her family is so kind, her mom made so much food, and it all tasted amazing!!!! It was really nice to be able to eat with a family here.  All of the food is set in the middle of the table, and it is all shared, so they don't use their own plates.  A lot of double dipping going, but that's ok ;) Eunbyeol, Eunbee (Eunbyeol's older sister), and I then went to climb a mountain.  Well, we didn't actually climb it, because it had rained a lot, but we walk up a trail to a Buddhist Temple.  That was really interesting, and you can see pictures below.  On New Years Day, we played a traditional Korean game called Yoonori.  It's similar to board games here, except instead of using dice, they throw four sticks, and depending on which side they land, determines how far your player advances.  During this, there was also lots of food, and makali :)  Actually, this night... I may have drank a little too much makali ;) ;) ;)

Then, the day after New Years, I was also invited to my good friend, Olivia's house. Where we ate SO MUCH FOOD!!!! Her family was SO SO kind.  Her mom prepared an amazing meal, and it took her 3 hours to make everything, so I am very grateful!! One important New Years dish that I ate is called Dok Guk.  It is a sort of soup, that everyone has to eat on new years.  If you don't eat this, you will stay the same age ;) ;) ;)  After our meal, Olivia took me mountain climbing! She is a really good climber! So fast and knowledgeable about the trails (I hope she reads this).  It was an amazing view... but I didn't have my camera, so we will have to go again ;)

I am so thankful to Eunbyeol's family, and Olivia's family for making my New Years weekend so memorable :) :) :) Enjoy some pictures!
 Mountain Trails with Eunbyeol and Eunbee
 Buddhist Temple


 Lots of Buddhas








 Sleeping Buddhas





 It is really common to sleep on the floor in Korea. Just roll out a mat at night.

 On our way to the mountain
 Eunbee and me kk

 Makali... Cheers :)
 Yoonori!!!!
 haha, nice move ;)
When accepting alcohol from someone older, always use two hands, and when pouring alcohol for someone older, also always use two hands ;) this is a sign of respect.  This also is true for the first time you meet anyone.  In case anyone decides to travel to Korea haha

No comments:

Post a Comment